Monday, February 18, 2013

Glazin'

I love repurposing things!  Give me Craigslist, EBay or a Garbage dumpster and I'm bound to find a BEAST and turn it into a BEAUTY!
Recently our large family moved from a 1100 sq ft to a 3100 sq ft. home. My husband says "We're going to need a lot of furniture". That was my cue to be on the hunt to find some great pieces.  
Our home was built in 1957, it's considered a sprawling ranch. Our living area is 13x23 and is shot gun style. I was in need to find a piece that would act as an entertainment center and have storage for games, DVD,s etc, as well as ground the room. I looked on EBay and Craigslist daily (setting up notifications when something specific listed with my requirements).   A listing for dresser came up and I texted the seller for pics. It wasn't wasn't what I was looking for but she said she had a dresser for FREE because it was minus the drawer. She sent me a pic, when she sent me the dimensions (75" wide) I knew this was it!  I offered her 20 and she said yes (for her time and the questions..)

So I was the proud owner of a mid century mod low profile dresser.  I had an idea of what color I wanted and that I wanted to glaze it. I had never glazed before so I took to Pintrest. I got some great ideas and this is how it went...

Color: Valspar Acapulco Cliffs in Gloss (qt) Paint + Primer
Glaze: Valspar Mocha Glaze. (There is a lot leftover)
Bag of Tshirt Cloths (Blue Hawk @ Lowes they were cheap, AND you need a lot)
Brushes
Sander


Steps
Removed all drawers
Sand - Just rough up, so the paint will take
Dust or vacuum all sanding stuff off
Paint
Let Dry... I didn't like is step as I'm impatient.  I used a hair dryer to speed up the process
GLAZEEE - put on liberally and rub off. It's that easy!!

Do you like the results..















01 02 03
04 05 06
07 08 11 12

1 comment:

  1. I love it!! I was Googling this color because I'm considering painting a statement wall in this color, and WOW....nice!

    Great job on the dresser. Love the finished product.

    ReplyDelete